Gutter repair and maintenance stay in your to-do list constantly only because if not maintained or repaired timely it can lead to severe problems. Steady maintenance and upkeep of your gutters will avoid expensive replacements before time. Though maintenance is not one of the favorite past times of homeowners but time invested in gutter repair and maintenance is sure to bring benefits.
Maintaining comes way before the need to repair originates. It is essential to do your bit in taking care of your property and whatever relates with it. Regular maintenance may sound like boring chores on the weekends but they will save your time and money in the future. Up keeping your gutters will only render you carefree in the rainy season as you won’t have to worry about clogged gutters or sudden repairs to be carried out. The common tips to follow for an easy maintenance process are as follows:
• Clean/Unclog Your Gutters – Most gutters in households face the problem of being heavily jammed with leaves and debris. Therefore, clearing out your gutters regularly is a must as it will make sure that the gutters are ready to serve their purpose in the rainy season.
• Keep a Regular Check – Every homeowner must keep a regular check on the gutters as it is not something to forget about after installation. Such systems demand attention and care to benefit your home in the best possible way. Make sure that there are no leaks or cracks in the gutters streams and the gutters are secure from the joints. Also, check for any loose nails or panels that could be hanging from the roof shingles as any excess weight of rain water or ice is very likely to bring the whole gutter system down.
• Make sure the downspouts are in place – Downspouts serve the purpose of making sure that the rain water flows away from the foundation or landscape of the house. If the downspouts are no longer aligned then the water will possible flow over the driveway, porch or the landscape. And hence, one must check that the downspouts are intact and positioned right.
• Make sure edges are upholding – Edges are the first thing to drip and hang loose from the weight of excess rain water in the gutter stream. Therefore, keep a check that the edges are upholding and support the water flowing through the gutters to avoid any drips or overflows onto the sidings and the foundation.
Usual Gutter Repairs
Rain gutters are designed to collect rain water flowing over the roofs and disposing it off away from the foundation where it does not cause any damage to the property. However, rain gutters suffer damage from the action of water over the years and therefore, they must be repaired to restore them back so that they can continue performing their function.
The common type of Rain Gutter repairs are as follows:
• Repairing loose or missing gutter parts – Rains when accompanied by strong winds and storms can cause the gutters to detach at certain places or come off from the clips. And therefore, those missing or loose parts must be repaired without any delay.
• Leaks of any kind – Many a time the harsh weather conditions and the changes in temperatures can cause the gutters to crack which results in leaks. Such leaks are commonly found at the juncture of two gutter pieces. Leaks, minor or major, must be repaired instantly to avoid any damage from the water.
• Customary Wear and Tear – Anything subjected to heat, cold and rain will eventually wear out due to the repetitive action of the force of nature. Such damages are unavoidable but fortunately, these are most easy to repair. A regular service with your gutter company will have this sorted.
• Broken Downspouts – Downspouts are the curved elbow-like part which is attached at the base of the gutter. The downspouts allow the water to deposit at a place away from the house into a vessel or vegetation. Broken Downspouts will result in water flowing from the gutters to collect all around the house forming puddles of stagnant and dirty water which become a breeding place for insects. Hence broken downspouts must be repaired or replaced immediately.
With these basic maintenance and repair tips, one can easily ensure their gutters stay sturdy and have an extended life.