We all know that rain gutters are an important aspect of a home’s drainage system. In case, downspouts and efficient rain gutters are missing, the drainage system would majorly be affected. When there is an excess of water near the foundation, it will result in major risk and costlier repairs. You should also know that gutter replacements as well as the downspouts do not require much money and requires lesser time as well, approximately three to four hours.
How often do the gutters need to be replaced?
The gutter systems usually last for several years depending upon what kind of
materials you use in the gutters and the upkeep of the gutters. Several signs
show whether your gutters need a replacement such as-
- Noticeable leaks
- Rust or discoloration
- Flaking paint
- Clogging from leaves, twigs and other debris.
- Sagging gutters
- Detachment of gutters from hangers.
How to replace gutters?
It is suggested that you should use a hacksaw and tin snips to cut shorter lengths of replacement gutter. For replacing gutters, all you need to do is-
- You should grab a ladder and then enlist a helper for you.
- The second step is to remove any old joint connectors and scrape any sealant or gunk off the existing gutters.
- After having new joint connectors, it is advisable to do a test.
- Now, you need to fill the end of the new joint rain gutter connectors using a sealant before installing the gutters to your home’s roof.
- If there is a need to add the replacement section, then you should loosen the adjacent hangers.
- It is advisable to add hangers every 3 feet.
Things to consider when replacing your gutters-
Size of the gutters-
You should check the size of the gutters whether you have them of the correct size. Keeping in your mind your roofline, surface area, and pitch, you should choose standard or oversized gutters.
Color, material, and style-
There are various options for choosing color, materials and styles for the gutters. You have aluminium gutters, copper gutters, galvanized steel gutters, half-round gutters, and others. All of these types have different merits and demerits, depending on the type of roofs. Out of all these, aluminium gutters are one of the most preferred and cost-effective ones.
Check if your roof needs to be replaced-
When you are working on gutter replacement, you should always keep in mind that the condition of the roof should be equally checked. There are many times when the roof would need replacement too. In such cases, the gutter system should be taken down and then needs to get replaced. This will not only help in efficient gutter replacement but ensure the longevity of the roof and gutters.
How to Replace Gutter Downspout?
The very first thing to know how to replace the downspout is that you are supposed to do is check the drop outlet which is the piece at the end of the gutter that feeds into the downspout. Then, after checking, you need to replace the gutter downspout up into the drop outlet. You will thereafter be required to notice that the drop outlet fits inside the rain gutter downspout section to contain the flow and keep the jointing from leaking. You should also check for downspout repairs if they need to be done.
- Take two self-tapping gutter screws and then fasten the joint. Then, as per requirement, you should add additional sections.
- Then, you should finish the downspout with an elbow position.
- You should attach the downspout extender; it should extend at least 5 feet into your yard.
Add All-New Gutters and Downspouts-
There are times when there are lots of missing or damaged pieces of gutters. In such cases, you should work on getting and installing a whole new set of gutters. Usually, most residential gutters are made of lightweight and durable aluminium. There are many options such as vinyl, galvanised steel, and even copper.
Rain gutters should be efficiently installed and property cleaned as they are functioned to direct rainwater away from the house to the downspouts. This will, in turn, protect the foundation of the homes and prevent any leakages, cracks, splits, etc. For more information on replacing gutters and gutter downspout installation, get in touch with roof gutter experts at Sunshine Gutters Pro.